If I was placed in a classroom with an IWB in it without doing this research I would have simply used it as a visual aid to supplement a normal lesson, I would have used it every now and then to show the kids clips on it and let them do small things on it but that would have been probably the extent of my use of it. This research has just completely opened my eyes as to how I can really use the IWB, that it's not just about using it as part of my lesson, but instead that it transforms my entire pedagogy (Glover & Miller, 2001; Smith, Higgins, Wall, & Miller, 2005), where it is used as a motivator that facilitates discussion (Wood & Ashfield, 2008) and leads to all sorts of different and innovative outcomes. IWBs are meant for transformative teaching, not just to sit in the classroom being used for a minute or two every now and then. I feel excited and passionate about them now!
I must admit that by doing this research it has become apparent to me that I have a potentially damaging attitude toward e-learning. One where I want to use ICT, as long as it doesn't interfere with my normal teaching practice. This attitude is so restrictive and unfounded, and I can now see how really it was such a selfish stance that only considered my own wants, and not what is actually best for the learning of the students.
I am so pleased that I am now aware of this attitude so I can actively work to remove it. When I took this e-learning paper, I thought I'd learn a few tips and tricks but so far I have learnt so much more. The literature has really opened my eyes to new concepts and new teaching methods I had not considered before. One thing in particular that I have realised is that ICT use needs to be planned and deliberate. Certainly different to the way I have used it in the past when teaching, which was spontaneous and just for fun, with no real deep learning potential.
The future is bright!
Glover, D., & Miller, D. (2003). Players in the management of change: introducing interactive whiteboards to schools. Management in Education, 17(1), 20-23.
Smith, H., Higgins, S., Wall, K., & Miller, J. (2005). Interactive whiteboards: boon or bandwagon? A critical review of the literature. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 21, 91-101.
Wood, R., & Ashfield, J. (2008). The use of the interactive whiteboard for creative teaching and learning in literacy and mathematics: a case study. British Journal for Educational Technology, 39(1), 84-96.
No comments:
Post a Comment