Over the last couple of weeks I have learned so much about web tools! The whole concept of web 2.0 was completely new to me, I was fascinated as I explored websites using this new technology, I never knew how many different ways you can discuss things over the internet. One site in particular that I was blown away by was EtherPad. On this website several computers can be on the same webpage and typing a document and automatically any writing is updated on every computer. This seems particularly advantageous for business meetings where employees work in different cities/countries, however I'm sure there is huge scope for use in the classroom. Students can create work in groups together in a whole new way, which eliminates the frustration that can sometimes build up when a group is sharing one computer and everyone wants to type at the same time. In some ways it would not be necessary in the classroom as it would have the students isolating themselves from each other when they are physically in close proximity, however, this opens up potential for paired or group homework tasks where the students can organise a time to both be online and write the document together.
I found a website:
http://www.go2web20.net/ which has a huge list of other web 2.0 websites with a small description of each.
In terms of the course, I am a little behind on my readings and course tasks, planning to catch up tomorrow. I haven't decided on my e-learning aspect to explore, am unsure of what one would be but will read the assignment brief again and nut it out.
For the meantime its back to my web 2.0 exploration!
Hey Gina,
ReplyDeleteSounds like you're really getting your head around the web 2.0 applications - I'm going to take a look at that link when I have a chance, thanks!
I've been doing some exploration of my own too - take a look at my blog if you like (http://elearningsarahh.blogspot.com/) - you might find some of the web 2.0 applications handy in building your knowledge more :)